Art Beyond Sight
Social, Communication, and Independent Living Skills
through the Arts Curriculum
■ Activity Plan ■
(Song lyrics and audio & bibliography included)
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Great relationships start with hello
- Activity Plan 2: Ice Breaker and Small Talk
- Activity Plan 3: A two way street
- Activity Plan 4: From Casual to Formal Conversation
- Activity Plan 5: Handling difficult situations and conflict resolution
- Activity Plan 6: Nonverbal communication and tips for your tics
- Activity Plan 7: Strike a pose! Field trip to the museum
- Activity Plan 8: Making our Self-portrait
- Activity Plan 9: The Art of Dressing
- Activity Plan 10: Making a Fashion Statement
- Activity Plan 11: Personal Narrative: Writing your story
- Activity Plan 12: A Collaborative Song Writing Activity
- Activity Plan 13: Preparing an interview
- Activity Plan 14: Meet a stranger: an exploration of the interview process
- Activity Plan 15: Let's prepare our own Talk Show!
- Final Event
- Songs by Brian Muni
LESSON 15 Let’s prepare our own Talk Show!
Grade: 6th to 8th grade
Duration: 45 min.
Group Cohesion/Establish a Professional Working Environment
1. Acting professionally- making our rules
- Self-presentation: wear ties and scarves
- Making a movie cost money, we need to be effective and not waste time.
- Listen to each other.
- Camera is expensive: take care of it, you are responsible for it.
- Help each other: when someone is having difficulties, don’t just tell them, ‘”That’s not it, or that’s not right,” give them suggestions for what they could do.
Objectives and Outcomes:
- Students will learn to work collaboratively.
- Students will develop, film, perform and edit the show.
- Students will practice their public speaking and interviewing skills.
- Students will act professionally, responsibly, and learn to present themselves well.
Developing the show:
Determine the name of the show, and the responsibilities of each team and each member within a team.
- Split class in two groups
- Technical team: Director/cameraman/stage manager
- How do we want to set up the stage, i.e., table, chairs, mic.
- Where do we want to place the camera (remember needs to stay still, you should see everyone on stage).
- Get actors ready
- Sit tall
- Speak loud and clear
- Look at person you are talking to (audience or other)
- Keep silence during filming
- Lights, camera, action
- Talent Team/Actors:
- Name of presenter/anchor
- Develop questions accordingly; think of what you and other people may want to know about this person.
- Thank you/goodbyes
- Rehearse introduction
Material: Camera, tripod, shotgun mic, props
Songs: Standing Tall