Art Beyond Sight
Social, Communication, and Independent Living Skills
through the Arts Curriculum
■ Activity Plan ■
(Song lyrics and audio & bibliography included)
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Great relationships start with hello
- Activity Plan 2: Ice Breaker and Small Talk
- Activity Plan 3: A two way street
- Activity Plan 4: From Casual to Formal Conversation
- Activity Plan 5: Handling difficult situations and conflict resolution
- Activity Plan 6: Nonverbal communication and tips for your tics
- Activity Plan 7: Strike a pose! Field trip to the museum
- Activity Plan 8: Making our Self-portrait
- Activity Plan 9: The Art of Dressing
- Activity Plan 10: Making a Fashion Statement
- Activity Plan 11: Personal Narrative: Writing your story
- Activity Plan 12: A Collaborative Song Writing Activity
- Activity Plan 13: Preparing an interview
- Activity Plan 14: Meet a stranger: an exploration of the interview process
- Activity Plan 15: Let's prepare our own Talk Show!
- Final Event
- Songs by Brian Muni
LESSON 10 Making a Fashion Statement
Grade Level: 6th to 8th Grade
Duration: 45 min.
Sit in circle; open class with greetings and songs
Sitting Tall, stretches, walking tall
Review previous lesson and introduce new lesson
- Students will discuss casual and formal clothing, what to wear depending on the occasion
- Students will discuss personal hygiene, adaptive strategies for dressing.
- Students will create their own Dress for Success character.
Suggested topics for class discussion:
- Review visit to FIT
- How to make a good impression with your attire: What would you wear for…? What to wear when?
- Adaptive Strategies: What are your tricks for dressing? How do you match colors? Organize your clothes? Do you shop for yourself? Where? Etc.
- What is your style? What is your statement?
Art project: Painting/collage
Using the materials of their choice, students will create a character who needs to dress for an occasion of their choice. They will create appropriate clothing and accessories for her/him.
- Stencils and/or blank caps/visors
- Self-adhesive jewels
- Fabric markers
- Fashion Magazines
- Glue, scissors
- Double-sided tape
Songs: What to wear; Standing Tall, 2 BU