Art Beyond Sight
Social, Communication, and Independent Living Skills
through the Arts Curriculum
■ Activity Plan ■
(Song lyrics and audio & bibliography included)
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Great relationships start with hello
- Activity Plan 2: Ice Breaker and Small Talk
- Activity Plan 3: A two way street
- Activity Plan 4: From Casual to Formal Conversation
- Activity Plan 5: Handling difficult situations and conflict resolution
- Activity Plan 6: Nonverbal communication and tips for your tics
- Activity Plan 7: Strike a pose! Field trip to the museum
- Activity Plan 8: Making our Self-portrait
- Activity Plan 9: The Art of Dressing
- Activity Plan 10: Making a Fashion Statement
- Activity Plan 11: Personal Narrative: Writing your story
- Activity Plan 12: A Collaborative Song Writing Activity
- Activity Plan 13: Preparing an interview
- Activity Plan 14: Meet a stranger: an exploration of the interview process
- Activity Plan 15: Let's prepare our own Talk Show!
- Final Event
- Songs by Brian Muni
LESSON 9 The Art of Dressing
Grade Level: 6th and 8th Grade
Duration: 45 min.
Objectives and Outcomes:
- Students will discuss casual and formal clothing, what to wear depending on the occasion.
- Students will discuss personal hygiene.
Students will visit the museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology and explore clothing, accessories, and fabrics; learn about matching an outfit with an occasion, and how fashion is a way of expressing yourself.
- What is fashion? Fashionista? Fashionable?
- Various areas of fashion?
- How to make a good impression with your attire: what would you wear for…? What to wear when?
- Dress codes, types of dress codes, such as formal, casual, black tie, festive, etc.
- What is your style? What is your statement?