Art Beyond Sight
Social, Communication, and Independent Living Skills
through the Arts Curriculum
■ Activity Plan ■
(Song lyrics and audio & bibliography included)
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Great relationships start with hello
- Activity Plan 2: Ice Breaker and Small Talk
- Activity Plan 3: A two way street
- Activity Plan 4: From Casual to Formal Conversation
- Activity Plan 5: Handling difficult situations and conflict resolution
- Activity Plan 6: Nonverbal communication and tips for your tics
- Activity Plan 7: Strike a pose! Field trip to the museum
- Activity Plan 8: Making our Self-portrait
- Activity Plan 9: The Art of Dressing
- Activity Plan 10: Making a Fashion Statement
- Activity Plan 11: Personal Narrative: Writing your story
- Activity Plan 12: A Collaborative Song Writing Activity
- Activity Plan 13: Preparing an interview
- Activity Plan 14: Meet a stranger: an exploration of the interview process
- Activity Plan 15: Let's prepare our own Talk Show!
- Final Event
- Songs by Brian Muni
LESSON 4 From Casual to Formal Conversation
Grade Level: 6th to 8th Grade
Duration: 45 min.
Sit in circle; open class with greetings and songs
Sitting Tall, stretches
Review previous lesson and introduce new lesson
Objectives and Outcomes:
- Students will discuss various types of conversations: casual vs. formal.
- Students will discuss the use of titles and formulae of politeness.
- Students will discuss the Do’s and Dont’s of formal conversation.
Suggested topics for class discussion:
- Can you identify different types of conversations? Do you addres your teacher the same way you address your friends or family?
- How do language, tone, body language, and self presentation vary with different kinds of conversations?
Role Play: Instructors will demonstrate role play (Do’s and Don’ts)
- Students meet President Obama and ask him to develop facilities for their school (vision classes, basketball court, playgrounds, etc.).
- Students meet with their principal to discuss the possibility of organizing a party.
- Conversing is a two way street: listen, ask follow up questions, share your thoughts
- eye contact/follow voice and look up in that direction, smile
- Posture: sit straight, stand tall (string metaphor)