Art Beyond Sight
INDEPENDENT LIVING AND SOCIAL SKILLS THROUGH THE ARTS A MODEL PROJECT
■ Activity Plan ■
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Introduction, Curriculum Overview, Role Play
- Activity Plan 2: The Mechanics of Eating
- Activity Plan 3: The Mechanics of Eating, Part II
- Activity Plan 4: Providing Adaptive Equipment
- Activity Plan 5: Field Trip to the Library
- Activity Plan 6: Setting the Mood – Dining Ambience
- Activity Plan 7: Making Healthy Food Choices – We Are What We Eat!
- Activity Plan 8: Making a Pyramid – and Placing Your New Snacks in its Food Group
- Activity Plan 9: Making Quick and Healthy Means to Go – Lunch Prep
- Activity Plan 10: Let’s Go Shopping!
- Activity Plan 11: Express Yourself
- Activity Plan 12: Share A Meal
- Activity Plan 13: Understanding Place Settings
- Activity Plan 14: Final Event
- Come to the Table Songs by Brian Muni
- Books for Kids
Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Duration: I class of 45 minutes
Materials: Food samples; basic food prep utensils (knifes, spreaders); wax paper, foil, Saran/cling wrap, plastic zip-lock and brown paper bags.
Objectives and Outcomes: Students have an opportunity to prepare a simple meal and pack a brown-bag lunch. Convenience, health and financial benefits are emphasized. Procedure (detailed, step-by-step with approximate time required for each step):
- What time do you have lunch?
- What’s your favorite lunch?
- Who packs your lunch?
- What packing materials are used?
- What about teachers: What do they bring for lunch?
- Why is it smart to pack your own lunch instead of buying one or getting snacks from a snack machine (financial and health benefits)?
Ask children for meal ideas, and show them how to make and pack a simple lunch of peanut butter sandwiches, for example, with fresh fruit, snack, drink, etc. Provide hand-over-hand instruction re using wax paper and aluminum foil (tearing, folding), handling plastic zip-lock bags, juice containers (straws, etc.).
Assessment: Active participation in all aspects of class activities
Song: Play and sing along with the students
Come to the Table, We Are What We Eat (to be written)