Art Beyond Sight
INDEPENDENT LIVING AND SOCIAL SKILLS THROUGH THE ARTS A MODEL PROJECT
■ Activity Plan ■
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Introduction, Curriculum Overview, Role Play
- Activity Plan 2: The Mechanics of Eating
- Activity Plan 3: The Mechanics of Eating, Part II
- Activity Plan 4: Providing Adaptive Equipment
- Activity Plan 5: Field Trip to the Library
- Activity Plan 6: Setting the Mood – Dining Ambience
- Activity Plan 7: Making Healthy Food Choices – We Are What We Eat!
- Activity Plan 8: Making a Pyramid – and Placing Your New Snacks in its Food Group
- Activity Plan 9: Making Quick and Healthy Means to Go – Lunch Prep
- Activity Plan 10: Let’s Go Shopping!
- Activity Plan 11: Express Yourself
- Activity Plan 12: Share A Meal
- Activity Plan 13: Understanding Place Settings
- Activity Plan 14: Final Event
- Come to the Table Songs by Brian Muni
- Books for Kids
Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Duration: I class of 45 minutes
Materials: Samples of food from every food group, including cereals, fruits, nuts, dairy, meat and vegetables; vitamin supplements; chart of Federal nutritional guidelines.
Objectives and Outcomes: Students learn an overview of the basic food groups and how to maximize nutritional intake. Children are presented with Federal nutritional guidelines; children are asked to draw food pyramid, shown examples of each food and encouraged to sample them. Food options will be explored, such as: liquid nutrition, etc.
- Basic description of the food groups (starch, protein, fat, etc.).
- What is a healthy diet?
- What is a healthy snack (fruits like an apple, granola bars, yogurt, etc.)?
- What is not a healthy snack?
- High and low fat.
- Way of cooking (steamed, fried, raw, etc.).
- Effect of food on our bodies (alertness, tension, etc.).
- Water and other liquids.
Food prep component
Assessment: Active participation in all aspects of class activities
Songs: Play and sing along with the students
Come to the Table, (We Are) What We Eat (to be written)
Follow-up lesson: Making Quick and Healthy Meals to Go (Lunch Prep)