Art Beyond Sight
INDEPENDENT LIVING AND SOCIAL SKILLS THROUGH THE ARTS A MODEL PROJECT
■ Activity Plan ■
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Introduction, Curriculum Overview, Role Play
- Activity Plan 2: The Mechanics of Eating
- Activity Plan 3: The Mechanics of Eating, Part II
- Activity Plan 4: Providing Adaptive Equipment
- Activity Plan 5: Field Trip to the Library
- Activity Plan 6: Setting the Mood – Dining Ambience
- Activity Plan 7: Making Healthy Food Choices – We Are What We Eat!
- Activity Plan 8: Making a Pyramid – and Placing Your New Snacks in its Food Group
- Activity Plan 9: Making Quick and Healthy Means to Go – Lunch Prep
- Activity Plan 10: Let’s Go Shopping!
- Activity Plan 11: Express Yourself
- Activity Plan 12: Share A Meal
- Activity Plan 13: Understanding Place Settings
- Activity Plan 14: Final Event
- Come to the Table Songs by Brian Muni
- Books for Kids
Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Duration: 45 minutes
Objectives and Outcomes: Students learn what dining ambiance is all about; use of table decorations, lights, music, etc.; what is appropriate dining conversation; appearance, manners and attitude.
Possible topics for class discussion:
- Serving utensils: How to use them for serving from a dish to a plate, etc.
- Making a table centerpiece and/or placemats, and place setting. Materials used can be variation of fabrics with textures, buttons, plastic flowers, utensils, etc.
- Ambient light and sound
- Appropriate conversation
- Appropriate manners
Students should be asked what meals they share with their families at homes. Each student’s likes and dislikes can be discussed. Concepts of the ideal dining environment will be explored and discussed. Suggestions and implementation made to improve comfort, communication, interpersonal and social aspects of meals. Teachers and instructors model how to request food and condiments, etc, appropriate topics of conversation, etc.
Assessment: Active participation in all aspects of class activities.
Songs: Play and sing along with the students
Come To The Table, Share A Meal
Cuyler, Please say please
Raschka, Table manners
Schoberle, Thank you, Angelica