Art Beyond Sight
INDEPENDENT LIVING AND SOCIAL SKILLS THROUGH THE ARTS A MODEL PROJECT
■ Activity Plan ■
- Activity Plan Overview
- Activity Plan 1: Introduction, Curriculum Overview, Role Play
- Activity Plan 2: The Mechanics of Eating
- Activity Plan 3: The Mechanics of Eating, Part II
- Activity Plan 4: Providing Adaptive Equipment
- Activity Plan 5: Field Trip to the Library
- Activity Plan 6: Setting the Mood – Dining Ambience
- Activity Plan 7: Making Healthy Food Choices – We Are What We Eat!
- Activity Plan 8: Making a Pyramid – and Placing Your New Snacks in its Food Group
- Activity Plan 9: Making Quick and Healthy Means to Go – Lunch Prep
- Activity Plan 10: Let’s Go Shopping!
- Activity Plan 11: Express Yourself
- Activity Plan 12: Share A Meal
- Activity Plan 13: Understanding Place Settings
- Activity Plan 14: Final Event
- Come to the Table Songs by Brian Muni
- Books for Kids
Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Duration: I class of one hour and 45 minutes
Materials: Class visit to appropriate facility during mealtime.
Objectives and Outcomes: Students learn about community resources for feeding people in need, e.g. soup kitchens, shelters, holiday food drives, etc. A visit and active participation at a site would be of tremendous impact, perhaps prior to Thanksgiving or Christmas.
The best part of sharing a meal is making new friends and eating great food together. Mealtime manners help you to express yourself, identify cultures and new foods, change and embrace new ideas on eating and style. Sharing a meal is an enormous part of growing as an individual and becoming a well-rounded person who is an integral part of society. So enjoy… and Let’s EAT!
Review of serving skills, etc.
Children should arrive prior to food distribution and receive orientation by site managers and assist with serving and interacting with residents/clientele.
Assessment: Child’s participation throughout curriculum
Songs: Play and sing along with the students
Holiday music, Come to the Table, Share A Meal, Get A Grip, Talkin’ With Your Mouth Full